Creative Commons License
This blog by Tommy Tang is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

My github papge

Friday, January 23, 2015

Install Inkscape on Mac

It has been a while since I wrote my last post. I am now in China and the Internet connection is very bad... I will start my postdoc in Dr.Role Verhaak's lab at MD Anderson Cancer Center. Dr. Verhaak's lab studies genomic alternations of brain tumor by analyzing whole exome sequencing, RNA-seq, whole genome sequencing, methylation and copy-number data. Yes, I am going to do a postdoc on computational biology. For sure, my computational skills would be strengthened in Dr.Verhaak's lab. Moreover, I will not give up my bench skills. I will use experiments to validate the functions of computational predictions.

I am writing a proposal and want to make a figure with Inkscape. It is a very good drawing software to deal with vector based figures, for bitmap based images, Gimp is the right one. On a linux machine (I have a ubuntu machine), inkscape can be installed by:
$sudo apt-get install inkscape


I only have a mac machine now at hand, so I have to install inkscape on my mac. Installation on mac is different from that on linux. Mac OS needs Xquartz to be installed first. I followed instructions here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21049815/mavericks-trying-to-install-xquartz-x11-for-inkscape-image-not-found and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kvSc_PYokM

And now it is ready to use!  I am excited to start my new job at MD Anderson and I should have an exciting 2015. I will update more frequently on this blog as I learn new stuff in my new lab.


1 comment:

  1. All about Inkscape lessons http://zabdielnotes.blogspot.com/p/zabdiel-pengenalan-program-inkscape.html

    ReplyDelete